Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Facing my Fears on the Ledge

Being one of the most recognizable landmarks in Chicago, Sears Tower held the record for the world’s tallest building for 25 years until the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia were built in 1998. There are a total of 110 floors in the Sears Tower. When you're on the top Sky Deck, you can see over 50-mile radius on a clear day.

After Sears Tower got a new name, "Willis Tower", this year, it also got a few new "ledges". They are glass boxes jutting out from the side of the Tower on the 103rd floor. Since the debut of this new feature this week, Willis Tower has attracted many locals and visitors to experience the adventure of standing on a ledge, if you will.

Everyone working in the Willis Tower, including me, are treated complimentary visits to the ledges this week. Being a moderate acrophobic, I was hesitant. But just like all fears, I've long realized it's a bad cycle until you face it. So, I stepped onto the ledge this morning! My legs were trembling, my heart was pounding, my fingers curled into fists, but I did it! I don't think I will ever be completely over my acrophobia, but I forced myself to face my fear, which I believe is the only way to alleviate it.

No comments: