Monday, January 19, 2009

Food for the Soul

I finally received the two books I ordered from Amazon.com today after impatiently waiting for them for almost 2 weeks. Since my The New Yorker subscription and less travel (less in-flight time) with my current company, I haven't finished any good books lately. I often miss my food for the soul and crave the contentment of being immersed in several hundreds of pages.
The Middle Place is a memoir of a woman who are "comfortably wedged between her adult duties and her parents' care". This book got my attention due to my recent argument with my father and finally speaking to him after almost 7 months. Though I've been living 8,000 miles away from home and taking care of myself since I was late in my teens, there is still a big part of me that resist to completely grow up. I find myself really lucky to be able to pick up the phone and just being a daughter to my father.

I got Outliers: The Story of Success to motivate myself a little. It has been a comfortable year, and perhaps because of aging, I found myself gradually losing the tenacious ambition I have always had. I've heard mixed reviews about this book, but I'm excited to read it and be the judge myself!

No comments: