Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Love Hate Relationship with the CTA

Every Chicagoan can tell you how crucial it is for the city to revamp Chicago's train system. My love hate relationship with the Blue Line in particular can be best illustrated in my experience today.

It was 7 am, and I was on my way to the Blue Line to go to O'Hare for a 8:51 a.m. flight to Kansas City for an important client meeting. I can certainly take a cab, but why not take the direct train to the airport if I have plenty of time? I'm such a frequent flier, so I was confident the Blue Line was the best option at that time. Anywho, when I get to the train station, the CTA workers were yelling there were no trains to the Loop. Thank god the train to O'Hare is still working, I think to myself. After texting Jeff, so he can be ready for this incident this morning, I boarded my train and got a good seat. I was really into my magazine, and it was a smooth ride until we got to the Belmont stop. Suddenly, the train operator told us the train would on longer be in service. Everyone was forced to get off the train and wait for another one. I couldn't believe this was happening!!!

It was already 7:35 am, and there's no way I'd catch my flight if I wasted another minute. So I left the stop, but the cab line was no where to be found (how is that possible?)! Good that I spotted a cab (the only cab!), so I started sprinting in my beautiful heels to chase it. Just when I was close, a guy got in the cab before me! I think to myself, "Can I afford to give up this cab and miss/reschedule my important meeting?" No, out of the question! I then started sprinting again and shouting, and finally got their attention. Next thing I know, I was sharing the cab with the guy. His name was Stefan, and he was going to Napa for a wedding this weekend (how nice!). I also found out that he might be looking to buy a place in our area! I described our condo to him, and he seemed very interested. I gave him my card asking him to call me when he starts looking. Hey you never know!

Fortunately, I got on my flight, and my important meeting went extremely well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

搶小黃這件事,幹得好!
遞名片推銷妳的房子,更是歐巴桑才幹得出來的事!算妳狠!

周太太 said...

well, I was doing the right thing for the both of us -- I got to get to the airport on time, and he got someone to share the fare with him.

Oh yeah, I become very aggressive when spotting opportunities to sell.