Saturday, August 1, 2009

If you like thriller novels

Child 44 will definitely be one of my recommendations. The story is primarily set in Stalin's Soviet Union in the 1950s that illustrated the psychological world of a child serial killer formed 20 years earlier. Since in the Stalinist Russia, the only criminals are those who are enemies of the State, this theme made the entire process of how the MGB officer went through to solve the murder captivated my attention. In my opinion, however, the ending's very last twist didn't seem necessary, and was unfortunately a bit of a disappointment.

Ultimately, the story is all about consequences. The strong plot is filled with suspense, jaw-dropping twist and chilling horror. I have to say I really enjoyed Tom Rob Smith's writing, and especially his thorough research skills. Many details in the book showed that he had done his homework as a story-teller.

No comments: