Saturday, March 7, 2009

思鄉病

I've been missing Taiwan - everything about Taiwan - very much for at least a number of months now. And I've found this desire to be especially severe lately. I crave the authentic local Taiwanese food; I miss my father, brother, aging grandma and my favorite uncle; I miss the TV shows; I miss the language, the accent; I miss taking the Taipei Rapid Transit; I miss the atmosphere and the air; I simply miss the familiarity, my home town, my native country.

Jeff was in Whistler this weekend for a ski trip, so I thought I use this low-key weekend to create a little "Taiwan" in our condo. So I went to the Chinese supermarket to get some 大腸 and instant 麵線 to make 大腸麵線! On this rainy Saturday afternoon, I enjoyed my 大腸麵線 while watching 光陰的故事 to heal my 思鄉病. I have to say, it did a little magic!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Vivien,

I understand. All of us miss you and talk about you a lot. I definitely understand it's not easy to work and live in States which is so competitive. Please remember that we all support you all the time. When you come back for Chinese New Year next year. Let me take you to have tons of tasty Taiwanese food. Hanging there! My sister.
Btw, I havn't got a chance to watch "光陰的故事" but I watch the other TV show "波麗士大人" which is a good one. You can also have all the episodes on YouTube. Hope you like it. Take care.

Kuo-hsun

周太太 said...

Thanks Kuo-Hsun!!! I can't wait to go back to visit next year!
I will definitely check out 波麗士大人 on YouTube soon!
Take care & miss you!

Anonymous said...

思鄉阿~ 我在大陸住一個月就思鄉了...
想念家人,想念朋友....跟你一樣!!
我也在那裡用網路看台灣的連續劇,找跟台灣相似的食物,要不就從台灣帶食材過去自己料理,現在重慶的家樂福已經有從台灣來的食物了,但大多數是罐頭....
等你回來喔!!我也好想念妳喔!!
別哭喔~乖!!

Anonymous said...

弟弟真是好貼心!
妳太厲害了,還自己做大腸麵線!看來你真的事愛到不行,明年妳回台灣過年時我也回台灣了,到時候我們再一起去吃四川吳抄手(我好想念喔!)
改天想念中文,隨時都可以打過來呀~我家三口都可以提供標準國語服務。
真希望我可以早點確定五月的行程。現在還在等那家公司的消息,有確定消息就馬上告訴妳。

周太太 said...

Sunny~ So glad you know how I feel! Though I have well-adapted to the life in the US, I always miss Taiwan. Most of the time, the feeling is bearable, but sometimes it is too severe to deal with...

周太太 said...

Yay Fion! Can't wait to go eat 四川吳抄手 with you when I go back to Taiwan! Actually, I've been thinking about calling you these days :)
Hope you hear from the company soon!

Miss LK said...

Hanging in there and take good care of yourself!

I know what you mean; food has quite an impact on my emotional health, too. The thoughts of enjoying local delicacies in Taiwan, browsing magazine and books at the Eslite bookstore...Also it is so easy to get from destination A to destination B in Taipei that one can practically gets everything done in a couple hours and all stores are still open beyond 9PM at night!!!

I have to stop here myself or I will be booking my flight.