Thursday, February 19, 2009

Can't Get Enough of It

After finished "The Middle Place" and "Outliers" (I highly recommend "Outliers"!) a couple weeks ago, I started my journey with "轉山". This is actually the first Chinese book I have read in a while. The candid and authentic writing of a young adventurist from Taiwan grabbed my attention from the first page and kept my interest high throughout the entire book. More accurately speaking, the more I read this book, the more attached I was to this book. I couldn't get enough of it, and I found myself not wanting to finish it!

Biking from Yun-Nan province to Lhasa Tibet, the author recorded his first-hand experience in the 60-day journey. It is much more than a book about travel. It is about the courage to not choose the easier paths in life and to never compromise even in the most difficult times. To me, it is 311 pages of history, literature, exploit, culture, learning, human weaknesses and strengths, curiosity, determination, faith, and realization. I recommend this book to you!

"藏民虔誠祈福的“轉山”儀式, 被青藏高原靈性大山擁抱的西藏人相信,只要環繞神山一圈,就能洗淨過去罪惡,讓身心得到淨化。"

3 comments:

Miss LK said...

I was actually thinking to pick up a copy of 轉山 when I was in Taipei last time... read lots good reviews about it and strangely it reminds me of The Motorcycle Diaries of Che Guevara(although I was never able to finish...)

I will definitely include this one on my reading list!

Anonymous said...

This book review reminded me about "Into the wild". Maybe the personal goal and the purpose of the trip is different but the experience is similar.

I have put this book in my shopping cart, wait for next shipment from Taiwan.

Thanks for the recommendation.

周太太 said...

Miss LK,
This is definitely a book worth reading! The writing is raw and brutally honest, which makes a good book great.


Sabrina,
Yes, it is kind of similar to "Into the Wild". I definitely encourage and support more Taiwanese young adults to chase their dreams and see the world in their own way!