Monday, February 9, 2009

Surprise Weekend Trip -- New York City!

To celebrate our first wedding anniversary, my sweet Jeff surprised me with a weekend trip to New York City! He planned the whole trip - bought plane tickets, booked hotel and made the dinner reservation. He had to break the surprise a week prior so I could take Friday off from work; however until we got there, I never found out where we were staying or where we were having dinner on Saturday night. Sneaky!

We arrived around 1 pm and checked into The Alex Hotel in Midtown East. It was a trendy boutique hotel within walking distance to Grand Central Station. Our room was spacious and modern with a king-size bed and a flat screen. After we got settled, we couldn't wait to go straight to one of our favorites, Joe's Shanghai (鹿鸣春) in Chinatown! We enjoyed their famous soup dumplings, beef noodle soup and scallion pancakes...Yum..

After lunch, we walked around SoHo and shopped a little before stumbling into a local dive, Nancy's Whiskey Pub. Nancy's is definitely Jeff's kind of place -- jukebox, shuffleboard table, and beer is the main alcohol served. Two Guinness and a Blue Moon later, we were heading to the Meat Packing District. "Fig and Olive" is my kind of place -- long wine list, martinis, cocktails, fresh olives and delicate cheeses. While sipping on my perfect pear martini, we got some recommendations from our bartender about a few places where the locals enjoy. "Employees Only" in The Village is full of character and was extremely packed when we got there. We were actually lucky to get a table by the bar within half an hour (thanks to my charm, as Jeff put it..Ha!). Their arugula salad with oyster mushrooms was nothing like I've tasted before. My entree, duck breast, was midiocre, but Jeff really enjoyed his orecchiette with house-made Italian sausage.

On Saturday morning, we walked around Central Park sipping coffee. Lunch was at our favorite Umbertos Clam House in Little Italy. Their linguini with white clam sauce was one of the best we've had (second to Daily Catch in Boston though!), and their New England clam chowder was authentic but a little pricey I must say.

After stuffing our faces at Umbertos, we decided to walk off our lunch in the sunny afternoon in The Village. I always felt very much at home in this area, and it reminds me of our neighborhood here in Chicago. We stopped in a few shoe stores, clothing shops and old record stores. One of my co-workers in the NYC office recommended a live Jazz place in the area, "Garage," so we stopped in since we're just around the corner. We sat by the window people-watching, enjoying the sunshine and listening to live Jazz. While we were thinking to ourselves, what could be a better way to enjoy an afternoon? when all of a sudden, "Spotted: K-Fed in a cool-guy hat walked by with a stunning blondy~ xoxo, gossip girl" Jeff was really quick to spot him, but we didn't have time to take a picture for proof...shoot.













We got back to our hotel in the early evening and got ready for our Saturday dinner reservation at The River Cafe. Honestly, I was a little puzzled when we were going over the Brooklyn Bridge. But I was pleasantly surprised when we got there! It has a famously unique location with exquisite dining, seamless service, unbelievable views (NY skyline) and live piano. We shared a bottle of 2004 Napa Valley R-Collection Cabernet Sauvignon with the standard 3-course meal. I loved my sauteed foie gras as appetizer, rack of lamb for entree and assorted sorbet for dessert. Jeff was really fond of his seafood trio (lobster ravioli, shrimp, grilled baby scallop), Canadian venison and chocolate toffee cake. It was an incredible dining experience! And I really enjoyed watching all of the
beautiful people there :)

Sunday was my chow-down day (not that I haven't been the entire trip!) of the Taiwanese cuisine in Flushing. We met with Aunt Sha-li and Uncle Darren at the Flushing Mall where I gorged on Ah-chung noodle, stinky tofu and 鹹酥雞!

What a fun weekend we had! Thank you bud! Happy 1st Anniversary and many many more to come!

10 comments:

Miss LK said...

Wow, that's very very sweet!

Joe's Shanghai is one place that I really missed in NYC and the other one is this little Italian pasticceria Viniero in the East Village. The food from both were very comforting!!!

Reading your post makes me wanting to take a trip to NYC soon :)

周太太 said...

Thanks Miss LK! We love NYC! Celebrating our first anniversary is an excuse to spend a weekend there :p
I do however hope our every anniversary going forward will be as special as the first one :)

Anonymous said...

會的!你每個結婚周年都會很特別的!
上個月我們結婚五周年的行程是帶小孩去Yale逛校園.....結果小孩只肯賴在書店看書
妳真的很愛阿宗麵線耶!回台北我也去吃吃看好了。
結婚周年快樂!

周太太 said...

Fion,
I think I went to 阿宗麵線 with you and Eric one time, and I had 2 bowls!!! Both of you were so surprised that I ate so much...Ha...ha...
Time flies! Happy Anniversary to you, too!!

Anonymous said...

結婚周年快樂!!!
羨慕妳有個這麼棒的honey喔!超sweet的!!!
期待看到妳的每個結婚週年surprise...

阿宗麵線我沒參與到,我倒是記得當年在Wesley的時候,我們星期六下課都會到大直去吃黑輪,有一次,對桌的ㄧ個"男人"一直往我們這裡看,妳問我說,他是不是看我們很有氣質才會一直看......妳記得嗎?當時我只覺得妳超自戀的!!哈~~~

Anonymous said...

喔!對了~~前幾天我剛過結婚"九"周年.....
我老公買了個禮物送我!算是有進步啦!改天要請JEFF教導一下我那不羅曼蒂克的老公,呵呵.....

周太太 said...

Ha ha Sunny! I remember that! I remember I always tried to pride myself that Wesley girls are 有氣質!
Ha...and we are! ha...

Anonymous said...

阿宗麵線事件我還記得,我真的傻眼到現在,我記得當時應該只吃一口吧?!一個女生就這樣站在路邊吃二大碗麵線,齁齁,這事我做不來.算妳厲害!
嗯...看到妳跟Sunny討論到衛理的女生有氣質這件事,我一定要跳進來對號入座一下。我。也。有。氣。質。啦。
不過我小時候沒去吃過大直黑輪耶!直到我搬去大直才開始吃。怪了~我都忘了我跟妳小時候在幹嘛?!我只記得我很沉迷在上課睡覺清醒時算數學,然後妳很沉迷在作夢.....

周太太 said...

Ha...Fion, you're totally right! I was such a day-dreamer! I remember you were always studying and also reading world classics!

Anonymous said...

hey..
星期日去Daily Catch吃他們的black pasta囉~
那麵條厚實有彈性,很有滿足感
squid絞肉,也很能襯托麵條的口感
整鍋麵的濃郁層次感很神奇的竟然不會讓人感到會膩,我也想煮出這種義大利麵呀~
麵條與麵包我們都好喜歡
也喜歡隨性擁擠的座位,更喜歡滿屋子的廚房香氣,整個就是很親切
一岀餐廳都開始想念下次哪時候再來吃
難怪你到現在還念念不忘..
對門的甜點店真的很不怎麼樣....

BTW,隔壁同學上網訂到二場Red Sox的球票,一場是八月另一場我也不清楚,所以今年我們起碼會去看二場,耶!!其中一場是對Yankee,嘿嘿~如果有王建民,我們打算冒著生命危險變節!