Sunday, September 13, 2009

"And when I go there, I go there with you..."

It was a perfect Saturday night, and we shared it with a few good friends and 68,000 other people. U2 kicked off its North America tour in Chicago's Soldier Field (where Chicago Bears play), and it was amazing!

We met up with the Vlahavas' and the Massucci's at Opera for dinner before the show. It was, to me, a French-fusion Chinese restaurant. Many of the traditional Chinese dishes were transformed into a more decorative entree with creative ingredients and a obvious Western twist in the flavor. We shared a few appetizers before the entree, and I was actually very pleased with my sea scallop with Thai chili corn, hoisin sause and crispy pork belly. Since Opera was conveniently located in the South Loop, many diners were also going to the show.

U2 shows have always been our favorite, and we actually went to 3 or 4 of them in 2005. Their stage design always captures me, and it's no exception this time. The center stage turns 360-degrees, and the island and bridge structure allowed the band more interaction with the fans. Our seats were to the left side of the stage (closer to where The Edge stands), which was perfect! They played a few of their new songs, but also a bunch of their greatest hits throughout the years. "Bad" was a surprise for Jeff, and I was always excited to hear "One", "With or Without You", "Where the Streets Have no Name", "Walk On" and "Elevation". Soldier Field is a great place for concerts, and I'm glad I saw U2 there!

2 comments:

Miss LK said...

ONE is my favorite and Bono is the best!

周太太 said...

Yeah, U2 is like one of my favorite bands! I don't think U2 was that popular in Taiwan growing up, which was surprising. I got into their music after I came to the states...